Extracorporeal Life Support in Adult Critical Care
An ELSO Course
June 18-21, 2014
Iowa City, IA
This intense four day course is designed for physicians and specialists caring for adult patients with severe acute respiratory and cardiac failure who may be candidates for Extracorporeal Respiratory Support. Common diagnoses considered for adult ECLS support include: H1N1, other viral or bacterial pneumonias, burn and inhalation injury, traumatic lung injury, pulmonary contusion, pulmonary embolism, post-shock or sepsis associated ARDS, or other forms of reversible acute lung injury or illness.
Course content includes indications and contraindications, cannulation techniques, initiation of support, patient and circuit physiology of ECMO, programmatic design and management, and all aspects of patient management and decision making for patients on ECMO. Complementing the twelve hour didactic course is an eighteen hour high fidelity simulation lab with an ECMO circuit utilizing centrifugal pump technology. All learners will participate in a four hour "ECMO Essentials 101" simulation workshop before the didactic sessions to review the fundamentals of bedside ECMO, such as, a circuit check, equipment components, alarms, pressure monitoring, stopcocks and pigtails, drawing samples from the circuit, de-airing the circuit, and hand cranking the pump. The goal is to immerse the learner in ECMO terminology and concepts before the didactic course to enhance the learning process. In the conference simulation workshop, small groups will participate in scenarios reviewing emergency procedures and highlighting adult ECMO physiology with a learner to instructor ratio of 2:1. Simulation education will allow participants to develop skills in common bedside procedures and to learn key assessments for decision making by "hands on" experience. The course is appropriate for centers setting up new programs, or for existing centers expanding into adult services.
Comments from our past courses:
- Great faculty. Small group size is excellent. Content was pitched at the appropriate level.
- Excellent lectures and simulations
- The course was excellent. All lectures are very informative and simulation lab was great. In addition, the dinner with round table discussions was great. I was able to talk with lots of people and exchange opinions and getting connections with other institutions. Thank you!
- Excellent. Simulations were very good and very useful.
- Brilliant, professional, detailed given with much care, warmth by excellent people.
- Simulation sessions - super! This was great for me. I had no prior experience, so learned a great deal. Best parts were simulations and case discussions, which I could never have gotten with reading alone.
COURSE IS CURRENTLY FULL -- CONTACT PRYCUS@UMICH.EDU TO BE PLACED ON WAITING LIST
Registration per person is $2,500
Registration includes the ECMO Specialist Training Manual and 4th Edition Red Book
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
USD 169.00 plus taxes
210 S Dubuque Street. Iowa City, IA 52240, United States
Phone: (319) 337-4058
Link to make reservations:
Complimentary breakfast is provided with your stay at the Sheraton.
Fly into Cedar Rapids (CID).
$169 / night
Contact: Peter Rycus, MPH