Course is full! We are now accepting names on the wait list. Email ECMOTraining@elso.org requesting to be on the wait list and supply your cell phone as well. If a spot does become available we will both email and call and you will have 24 hours to let us know if you can take the spot otherwise we have to go to the next person on this list.
Extracorporeal Life Support in Adult Critical Care
An ELSO Course
Emory Conference Center
April 5-8, 2017
This intense four day course is designed for physicians and specialists caring for adult patients with severe acute respiratory and cardiac failure who may be candidates for Extracorporeal Respiratory Support. Common diagnoses considered for adult ECLS support include: H1N1, other viral or bacterial pneumonias, burn and inhalation injury, traumatic lung injury, pulmonary contusion, pulmonary embolism, post-shock or sepsis associated ARDS, or other forms of reversible acute lung injury or illness.
Course content includes indications and contraindications, cannulation techniques, initiation of support, patient and circuit physiology of ECMO, programmatic design and management, and all aspects of patient management and decision making for patients on ECMO. Complementing the twelve hour didactic course is an eighteen hour high fidelity simulation lab with an ECMO circuit utilizing centrifugal pump technology. All learners will participate in a four hour "ECMO Essentials 101" simulation workshop before the didactic sessions to review the fundamentals of bedside ECMO, such as, a circuit check, equipment components, alarms, pressure monitoring, stopcocks and pigtails, drawing samples from the circuit, de-airing the circuit, and hand cranking the pump. The goal is to immerse the learner in ECMO terminology and concepts before the didactic course to enhance the learning process. In the conference simulation workshop, small groups will participate in scenarios reviewing emergency procedures and highlighting adult ECMO physiology with a learner to instructor ratio of 2:1. Simulation education will allow participants to develop skills in common bedside procedures and to learn key assessments for decision making by "hands on" experience. The course is appropriate for centers setting up new programs, or for existing centers expanding into adult services.
Phoenix Children’s Hospital is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Phoenix Children’s Hospital designates this live activity for a maximum of 29.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit/sTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the selection criteria for determining candidacy for ECLS support.
- Discuss the physiology and pathophysiology of ECLS support.
- Describe management strategies for Venoarterial and Venovenous ECLS support.
Comments from our past courses:
- Great faculty. Small group size is excellent. Content was pitched at the appropriate level.
- Excellent lectures and simulations
- The course was excellent. All lectures are very informative and simulation lab was great. In addition, the dinner with round table discussions was great. I was able to talk with lots of people and exchange opinions and getting connections with other institutions. Thank you!
- Excellent. Simulations were very good and very useful.
- Brilliant, professional, detailed given with much care, warmth by excellent people.
- Simulation sessions - super! This was great for me. I had no prior experience, so learned a great deal. Best parts were simulations and case discussions, which I could never have gotten with reading alone.
Registration per person is $3,500
Registration includes the ECMO Specialist Training Manual and 4th Edition Red Book
Emory Conference Center
1615 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA , 30329, US
Registrants for the course will be on a conference package and must use the link below (or phone) to make reservations into our block. The cost for a single room is $199 plus taxes and fees. For a double you cannot use the link but must call 1-800-933-6679. NOTE: For double occupancy it is $149 per person per night plus taxes and fees. You cannot use other systems to book your room because you will need the conference package which entititles you to breakfast and lunch everyday and all day coffee/snacks.
Emory Confernce Center Reservations